Things You’ll Need:

  • Valid government-issued photo ID
  • Application for Marriage License (There are two types – confidential and non-confidential)
  • $50 – $55 for license fee
  1. Go to the San Diego County Recorder’s website. Familiarize yourself with all that is needed to apply for a marriage license.  Know there are two types – confidential and non-confidential – read the requirements for each.


  1. Print and fill out the application for the Marriage License with your fiancé.
  2. Call to schedule an appointment with one of three Recorder offices in San Diego County.  Turn in your marriage license application and obtain the license for your officiant and witnesses to sign at your wedding.  To make an appointment call (619)237-0502.  Offices are located in San Marcos, El Cajon and in Downtown San Diego (Pacific Coast Highway).   Appointments are between 8 and 4 p.m.
  3. Both you and your fiancé need go to your appointment to turn in your license application. Bring your application and a valid photo ID with you to verify age. A certified copy of your birth certificate is best, but your driver’s license will be just as good.
  4. Arrive at the recorder’s office, check in for your appointment and then turn in your application and answer any questions the county worker will have for you. The worker will just go over your application and verify your information and your identity.  The fee is $50.00 or $55.00 depending on whether it is confidential or non-confidential.
  5. You will be given your official marriage license. The license will be valid for 90 days from the date it was issued. Now you can have your wedding ceremony anywhere in the state of California.
  6. After the ceremony, have your officiant and two witnesses sign the license. The signed license must then be returned to the recorder’s office for recording. You can return the license by mail or in person.  The license needs to be returned within ten days following the ceremony.
  7. You will need a notary to notarize the paperwork in order for you to obtain copies of the marriage certificate.  You do not need to have your fiancé present for the notary to notarize the paperwork for the certificate.  This is the paperwork that is needed to purchase certified copies of your license.
  8. You can purchase certified copies of your license one week after returning the license to the recorder’s office. You will need these copies for legally changing your last name.

At Your Side Planning (formerly, Ah! Le Party)  ~ ~ 619-322-7084 ~ Diana Romero (Owner, Lead Wedding Coordinator)

Photography provided by Jackie Wonders Photography

At Your Side Planning Main Website

Contact us!